Name: John Holladay
Title: Professor of Humanities / Room C212.
Office Hours: Monday/Wednesday/Friday 11-Noon Tuesday
/ Thursday 11-Noon
152 Western Philosophy Study
1. Distinguish means and ends in the three kinds of desirable things. Where does
justice belong? What view prevails today?
2. Why does Galucon play the devil's advocate? What, according to the common view, is
the origin of justice? What is the point of the gyges' ring story?
3. How does the contrast between the superlatively just and superlatively unjust man
serve as a test case?
4. How can the unjust man contend with the gods? In what way do people usually praise
5. Why does Socrates look at justice in the state before he looks at it in the
6. Why do people form cities? Why is the division of labor
7. Describe the healthy city. Why do its people become dissatisfied?
8. Why is a guardian class necessary in the more luxurious city? How does
education come into the picture? What are the two divisions of the guardians, education?
Why is censorship necessary for the guardians' education?
9. How do the poets sin in describing the gods? Describe Socrates' conception of
If you wish to return to my home page click