Free Income Tax Return Preparation
Monroe County Community College’s accounting program has partnered with the IRS to provide free Income Tax Assistance for low to moderate income taxpayers who generally earn $56,000 or less, who need assistance preparing their own tax returns.
IRS-certified MCCC student volunteers provide basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing for qualified individuals.
The program is typically available on select Fridays in March and April in the Career Technology Center. Dates and hours of operation will be posted here in late February of each year. Appointments are recommended but not required. Walk-ins must arrive and sign in by 2 p.m. Children are not allowed in the tax preparation area and cannot be left unattended in the lobby.
2020 DATES: February 28 and March 13 through April 3, 2020 from 9:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Documents Needed To Prepare Your Income Tax Return
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc)
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- All Forms 1095(1095-A, B or C) Affordable Health Care Statements
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
Schedule an Appointment
Please do not schedule an appointment if you have not reviewed the “What to Bring” section.
Your income tax return cannot be prepared without appropriate documentation, photo ID and social security cards for all taxpayers and dependents. For joint filers both spouses must be present.
If you cannot make your scheduled appointment please re-visit the scheduling site and cancel your appointment.
We look forward to serving you!
Beginning February 1, 2020 you can schedule an appointment at: https://vitamccc.setmore.com/
Please note: We do not prepare prior year tax returns. We do not provide customer service after you leave the VITA site. If you have any questions you must contact the IRS. IRS contact information will be provided with your completed return.
Free Financial Coaching
This service is provided with or without income tax preparation
Financial Coaching Workshops will be available on site to provide information about goal setting, budgeting, saving, and using your income tax return as a way to achieve financial goals. These workshops are provided by Habitat Hope (Home Owner Preparation and Education). The HOPE program also provides Financial Capability, Home Buyer and Foreclosure Prevention workshops.
Appointment scheduling begins in February.
Sign up for a workshop: https://habitathope.setmore.com/