The associate of applied science degree with specialization in metrology and quality technology (precision measurement and quality) is designed to meet the precision measurement and quality needs of industry by preparing graduates through both theoretical and hands-on laboratory work to successfully enter the work force. Metrology and quality are used throughout the world in such areas as telecommunications, manufacturing, electrical power, aerospace, transportation, medicine, pharmaceuticals, food production, packaging, construction, national defense, atmospheric research and environmental protection. The metrology and quality technology program at MCCC emphasizes dimensional metrology and quality standards for the manufacturing industry.
Individuals with dimensional metrology skills, especially coordinate measuring machine (CMM) operators, are in high demand. MCCC is one of only a handful of colleges offering a program in dimensional metrology technology (one of only two in Michigan).
Graduates of this program will be prepared for employment in the following areas:
- Field service technician
- Lab technician
- Layout inspector
- Metrology technician
- Quality assurance
- Quality auditor
- Quality control
- Quality engineer
- Quality manager
- Quality technician
- Testing technician
Certificate Program: Metrology Technology
In addition to the two-year associate degree program, Monroe County Community College offers a certificate program in metrology technology. We recognize that many employers place value on a certificate which authenticates specialized educational preparation. The program concentrates upon basic core courses with skill development and job upgrading being the primary objectives. All courses taken in the certificate program are applicable toward the associate of applied science degree.
Certificate Program: Quality Technology
In addition to the two-year associate degree program, Monroe County Community College offers a certificate program in quality systems technology. We recognize that many employers place value on a certificate which authenticates specialized educational preparation. The program concentrates on basic core courses with skill development and job upgrading being the primary objectives. All courses taken in the certificate program are applicable toward the associate of applied science degree.
METROLOGY AND QUALITY TECHNOLOGY PROGRAM MISSION STATEMENT
The Metrology and Quality Technology program is dedicated to providing high-quality instruction in the area of measurement sciences that includes calibration and quality technology for students seeking entry level jobs in industry upon completion of a certificate, associate’s degree or continue their education at a four-year college or university.
Upon graduation, the graduates of the Metrology Technology program will be able to:
- Maintaining the calibration system and performing designated calibrations per internal procedures
- Program, set up and operate CMM in order to make complex, precise measurements of materials and parts
- Uses a variety of measuring instruments
- Interpret measurement output data and graphic data (be able to use SPC tools and perform CPk analysis)
- Ensures proper calibration of all production and personal gages used within a facility
- Create and perform GR&Rs and correlation studies as needed
- Summarizes results and communicates them to engineering and others as needed
- Interpret measurement results against customer drawings and specifications and perform PPAP dimensional layout inspection reports, first piece, and in-process and final inspection checks
- Understand and comply with TS-16949, ISO 9001 and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis)