The associate of applied science degree with specialization in nuclear engineering technology will enable prospective students to seek employment as nuclear engineering technicians in various sectors of the nuclear power industry. This specialization utilizes a learning approach that emphasizes both theory and hands-on skills necessary to function effectively in the technical environment of the nuclear industry. The program stresses effective oral and written communication as well as related mathematics, science and technical skills.
In addition to completion of this program, graduates will eventually need to pass appropriate background checks to be employable in the nuclear industry. Please check with the Admissions Office for details.
It is strongly recommended that students follow the prescribed course sequence, as some courses are only offered once in an academic year.
NUCLEAR ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY MISSION STATEMENT
The Nuclear Engineering Technology program provides the students with nuclear industrial experience within the academic environment through laboratory projects, experimentation, classroom lecture and demonstration leading to industry recognized credentials, employment in the nuclear power industry or opportunity for advanced education leading to an AAS degree or beyond.
- Describe and apply the culture of safety, continuous improvement, and peer checking
- Explain the requirement for documentation, formal procedures, and record keeping for nuclear related activities
- Describe the main systems in a nuclear power plant, and how they are used in power generation
- Identify typical power plant components and explain their function
- Describe different sources of radiation, their effects on organic matter, methods of detection, and shielding
- Identify and define problems in mathematics and scientific terms
- Recognize assumptions and limits of analysis to the application of technology, including social and ethical implications
- Recognize the need to engage in lifelong learning, and to perform research or conduct investigations to continuously upgrade knowledge and skills
- Communicate effectively, and work as part of a team