Monroe County Community College reopened its Main Campus yesterday after being closed for nearly three months due to concerns about Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), but certain limitations will be maintained.
Registration for the Fall Semester, which begins August 26, continues; courses will be offered in online and hybrid formats that can include both online and on-campus instruction in small, socially-distanced groups.
Most of the blended classes with on-campus meetings will be in career technical areas and other areas with labs. Other types of blended classes will include off-campus, virtual classrooms requiring students to meet virtually during all or some scheduled class times. Admissions and registration information is available at www.monroeccc.edu or by calling (734) 384-4104.
The Whitman Center in Temperance remains closed.
In general, the college’s Main Campus is operating on its usual fall schedule – . Monday-Friday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.. Below is a list of hours for some specific, higher-traffic areas of campus, including some that have hours that differ from the college’s regular hours:
- Admissions/Financial Aid/Registrar: Open Monday, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m., Tuesday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Bookstore: Monday, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m., Tuesday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m (floors and aisles marked for social distancing and traffic flow)
- Cashier: Open Monday, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m., Tuesday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Disability Services: Monday – Thursday: 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (on-campus), Friday: 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. (remote
- Division/Department Offices: Non-academic departments are open Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.. Academic divisions are open Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Students/visitors/customers are encouraged to make an appointment if they believe it is necessary to meet face-to-face.
- Corporate and Community Services: Open by appointment only Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m.-5 p.m.; office will be locked. Operating remotely on Fridays.
- Library:August 10 - August 26, Library open by appointment: Mon. - Thur. 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
- Tutoring: Monday – Thursday: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (face-to-face and remote options)
All who enter the MCCC Main Campus are expected to comply with the protocols and guidelines put in place in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Social distancing practices must be followed, and facemasks or face coverings must be worn by all persons inside college facilities. Those coming to campus are encouraged to wash their hands often and use hand sanitizer that contains at least 60 percent alcohol when hand washing is not feasible.
The frequency of cleaning and disinfection at the college has been increased on high-touch surfaces. Enhanced cleaning and disinfection will be performed if persons suspected or confirmed to have COVID-19 have been on campus.
In an open environment such as an office, classroom or lab, individuals must be sure to maintain at least six feet distance from others and wear a facemask or face covering at all times while in a shared space, room or hallway.
The college is installing clear, acrylic desktop shields for front-facing offices and services.
Those coming to campus are encouraged to observe all signage regarding building access and exit, closed spaces and furniture, and social distancing.
Restroom use should be limited based on size to ensure at least 6 feet distance between individuals. The college is instituting restroom closures in some of the buildings.
Employees reporting to the work at the college must conduct symptom monitoring every day before coming to work via an online COVID-19 workplace screening tool. They must pass the screening each day.
Notices and updates are being conveyed via the college website at www.monroeccc.edu/coronavirus. Notifications of official updates are also being shared via email, social media and other means.
About Monroe County Community College
Founded in 1964, Monroe County Community College is a public, two-year institution supported by tax monies from Monroe County, educational funds from the State of Michigan and student tuition. The college’s mission is to enrich lives in our community by providing opportunity through student-focused, affordable, quality higher education and other learning experiences. The Main Campus is located at 1555 South Raisinville Road, Monroe, Mich., 48161, with easy access to Toledo and Detroit. The Whitman Center is located in Temperance, Mich., 48182, near the Ohio-Michigan Border. Detailed information about MCCC is available at www.monroeccc.edu.