Monroe County Community College is hosting two special and unique events as part of the college’s holiday annual events season. Both of these events are free and open to the public.
Both events are actually a two-for-one opportunity for music aficionados. On Tuesday, December 6, 2022, the MCCC Agora Chorale will join forces with Airport High School's Varsity Voices for 'Snowflakes in the Air' at 7:30 p.m. in the Meyer Theater in the La-Z-Boy Center on the college's main campus, 1555 S. Raisinville Road in Monroe.
The Varsity Voices, under the direction of conductor Maxwell Trombley, and accompanied by pianist Staci Dreger, will perform:
- Lo, How a Rose E’re Blooming, arranged by Laura Farnell
- This Little Babe from A Ceremony of Carols by Benjamin Britten and accompanied by Celia van den Bogert on harp
- Carol of the Bells by M. Leontovich and arranged by Peter J. Wilhousky
The Agora Chorale, under the direction Jonathan Lunneberg accompanied by pianist Mercy Olsson, will perform:
- Laudate by Knut Nustedt
- I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free by Billy Taylor and Dick Dallas and arranged by Kirby Shaw
- Steal Away, a traditional spiritual arranged by Jan Reese
- White Horses by Gwyneth Walker
- Blue Skies by Irving Berlin and arranged by Steve Zegree
- A Charlie Brown Christmas by Vince Guaraldi and arranged Steve Zegree
In the grand finale for the concert, the choirs will combine for a performance of The Twelve Days of Christmas by Frederic Austin and the audience will be encouraged to join in.
On Monday, December 12, 2022, The College-Community Symphonic Band, under the direction of Mark Felder, will be joined by The Agora Chorale to perform 'Holiday Portraits' with artist Brad Schreiber, who will be creating beautiful imagery that will be displayed onscreen throughout the performances. This concert will also be held at 7:30 p.m. in the Meyer Theater. The concert will include:
- Christmas Fanfares by Todd Stalter
- Stille Nacht by Franz Gruber and arranged by Chip Davis and Robert Longfield
- The Thirteen Days of Christmas by Wolfbane Armadillo Mozart and arranged by Paul Jennings
- Fantasia On Black Is the Color of My True Love's Hair arranged by Mark Camphouse
- The Sussex Mummers' Christmas Carol arranged by Carl Simpson
- Concertino for Tuba and Band by Jim Curnow and featuring soloist Carl Holmblad on tuba
- Aesop's Fables by Scott Watson and featuring Dr. William E. McCloskey narrating
- Dashing Through the Snow by J. Pierpont and arranged by Richard L Saucedo
- Christmas Legends by Gary Gilroy
The MCCC Season of Events is made possible through The Foundation of MCCC’s Cultural Enrichment Endowment Fund and the generous donations of Consumers Energy Foundation, DTE Foundation, First Merchants Bank, La-Z-Boy and Promedica Monroe Regional Hospital.
For more information about these and other community events hosted by MCCC visit www.monroeccc.edu/events